Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

P is for Paella

Ever heard that rule about eating shellfish?  Some people say that it's best to eat clams, mussels, scallops, and oysters in months spelled with the letter R.  Basically, don't eat filter feeders during the warmest summer months.  Why is it better to order a dozen blue points in January rather than in June?  What happens to clams in July?  Why can't I serve steamed mussels in August?  I'd heard this rule before and Peter and I have generally followed it when it comes to buying oysters on the half shell, but I never understood why summer was a bad time for shellfish.  Until today.

I did a bit of online research and learned that filter feeders can become toxic to humans during summer months if they are harvested from areas affected by algal blooms.  Warm coastal waters overcome with algae are sometimes called "red tide" because the water turns a reddish brown color.  Harmful toxins build up in filter feeders and can be poisonous to humans and animals if eaten.  Most shellfish you would get from a fishmonger has been tested for harmful toxins, so it should be safe to eat them year round.  However, if you like to rake for oysters on your summer vacation, watch out for local warnings and beach closures due to algal blooms.




It being January, a month with an R, I decided to add paella to my menu this week.  I was craving a culinary challenge and I wanted to try using a few new ingredients: poblanos and saffron.  I've watched many episodes of Mexican Made Easy on which Marcela Valladolid prepares dishes with poblanos, but I've never attempted a recipe with them in my kitchen.  It was time!  I received a vial of saffron threads in my stocking this year, along with white truffle oil and vanilla beans, so I have been anxious to use some of my epicurean gifts.  Thank you, Santa...er...Peter!      



I found this paella recipe easy to follow and relatively simple.  The toughest part is just waiting for the rice to cook and the clams to open up!  Peter helped me soak the clams in cool salty water so they'd expel sand or debris and that part isn't mentioned in the recipe, but I'd recommend it.  I don't have a snazzy paella pan, but I think my Analon skillet worked nicely.  Perhaps I'll ask Santa for that gift next year, but for for my next paella attempt, I'll probably try one of my cast iron dishes.  I was surprised how much moisture accumulated in the pan after I added the corn, tomatoes, and clams; I'd say the last few minutes on the stove top are crucial for evaporating much of the cooking liquid.  Be patient!  While you're waiting (and not stirring!), busy yourself by preparing crusty bread and a salad to accompany this wonderful dinner.
                      


Paella with Poblanos, Corn, and Clams
adapted from Cooking Light magazine


  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 c. chopped onion
  • garlic cloves, minced
  • poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
  • 1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper, divided
  • 3/4 c. uncooked short-grain brown rice 
  • 1/4 tsp. saffron threads, crushed
  • 2 c. water
  • 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
  • 1 1/2 c. corn kernels
  • 1 c. halved cherry tomatoes 
  • 2 lbs. littleneck clams
  • chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • lemon wedges

  • Preheat oven to 450°.  Heat oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, poblanos, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Add rice and saffron. Cook 2 minutes; stir constantly. Add 2 cups water, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper; bring to a boil.  Bake at 450° for 50 minutes or until rice is done. Stir in corn and tomatoes. Nestle clams into rice mixture. Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or until shells open, and discard unopened shells.  Return the pan to medium-high heat, and cook without stirring 10 minutes or until liquid evaporates and rice browns. (It should smell toasty but not burned.) Top with parsley and serve with lemon wedges if you'd like.









No comments:

Post a Comment