Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

K is for Kale Chips

I'm not a big fan of kale.  It's okay and I know it's healthy, but kale is just not a green I regularly pick up at the grocery store.  I used to eat it as a kid because my aunt told me it was like horse food and I loved horses.  That logic seems so silly to me now, but children will go along with just about anything, right?


Having a pound and a half in the farm box motivated me to try out a new kale recipe.  And honestly, when I say "recipe," that's a stretch.  This snack practically prepares itself.  I tore the leaves off the stalks into chip-sized pieces and put them on a cookie sheet.  Then I drizzled them with olive oil and tossed the leaves around a bit.  Finally, I sprinkled them with salt and toasted them in the oven at 375 F for 15 minutes.  I turned them halfway through with a spatula, and that was about the most difficult part of this recipe.  Done.



We had enough kale for three cookie sheets, so I did one sheet with plain salt, one with cayenne pepper, and one with garlic salt and grated parmesan cheese.  You just sprinkle on your favorite seasoning before you throw it in the oven.  My favorite was definitely the parmesan cheese version, but they were all good!  Baked kale chips don't shrink down like spinach in the way that it wilts.  They crisp up quickly and stay crisp for about 1 day.  I thought they were significantly better when a little warm and toasty, but you'll have to give it a try and see what you think!

Horses (or kids) would probably love them!        



        

 

No comments:

Post a Comment