Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

A is for Appetizers

I believe some desserts and dishes should be left alone in their full-fat glory.  I'm thinking about treats like homemade ice cream, creme brulée, brownies, or a meal like fried chicken or macaroni and cheese.  These splurges show up on my menus rarely and usually just for a special occasion.  In my opinion, they're so much better when made with real cream, real sugar, butter, etc. that the low-fat-diet-friendly versions just aren't worth the time and effort.  They aren't delicious.  They just make you think about how much better the "real thing" is!  

Ellie Krieger, one of my favorite Food Network stars, classifies foods as either "usually"(like most vegetables, fruits, and lean meats), "sometimes" (like breads, dairy products, grains, and starches), or "rarely" (like fried foods, baked goods, and other sweets).  I like this way of sorting and cataloging because her strategy doesn't eliminate or ban any foods; she's just helping us realize that some foods can be eaten regularly and even in great quantities, while other foods should be treated like a special event that only comes around once in a while.    

In spite of my feelings about a few sinfully decadent sweets and unhealthy treats, I also enjoy finding ways to lighten up recipes.  I try to adjust things to move a food from the "rarely" category to "sometimes."  I read America's Test Kitchen, Cooking Light magazine, Skinny Taste, and cookbooks like Cook Yourself Thin to get ideas for lightening up dishes.  I've tried quite a few Hungry Girl recipes, but none have turned out very well for me, so I'd recommend the other resources if you're interested in adding more "sometimes" and "usually" foods to your plate.  

When I'm making changes to a recipe, if I can't swap out an unhealthy ingredient for something more beneficial, I'll try using less than a recipe calls for.  This strategy usually works for a casserole, a meat course, a vegetable side, or a salad, but I'd caution against altering a baking recipe too much.  Cakes, cookies, muffins, and breads are much more sensitive to ingredient ratios, temperatures, fat content, and the texture of the ingredients.  Just make those cookies and cakes the way the recipe calls for and savor a smaller serving.



Today I want to share two incredibly simple appetizers that you can serve this spring or summer and they're sure to be a hit.  Both recipes include a "usually" food (fresh, raw veggies) and a "sometimes" food (cheese).  Enjoy these snacks without guilt!
 

Stuffed Radishes
from Linda Strup

2 bunches of radishes
2-4 Tbsp. cream cheese
1/4 c. raw shelled sunflower seeds


Clean the radishes and cut a flat surface on each end so that they will stand upright.  Use a spoon to gently top each radish with a small amount of cream cheese or neufchatel.  In a 350 oven, toast shelled sunflower seeds on a cookie sheet until fragrant and golden (about 5 minutes).  Roll the cheese-topped end of each radish in sunflower seeds so they stick.  Serve immediately for best results.







Caprese Skewers
by Rachel

Cherry tomatoes
1 hothouse cucumber
mini fresh mozzarella balls
1/4 c. olive oil
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil

Use a vegetable peeler to scrape stripes along the sides of the cucumber.  Cut into wedges or cubes.  Skewer cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and mozzarella in a pattern onto small skewers (I cut my long skewers in half).  Mix the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and drizzle over the skewers just before serving.  Sprinkle with finely chopped basil.      




No comments:

Post a Comment