Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

H is for Haystacks

The class hamster is lost.  It is completely my fault.  I arranged for his summer vacation at a student's house, but 24 hours into his time share, I got a phone call that it wasn't going to work.  So Meatloaf, the third grade hamster, is at my house for the summer.  At least he was!  I took him out of his cage for a little ball-rolling time the other night while Peter and I watched a movie.  Then I put him back in his cage but evidently I forgot to securely latch the door.  I must admit, I didn't realize he was gone for about 24 hours.  Now we're dealing with a missing hamster who's had plenty of time to find alternative lodging somewhere in this house.  Peter's been a great sport, even waking up early to don a headlamp and lift up all the furniture and inspect for hamster holes.  No evidence of him anywhere yet.

In honor of Meatloaf, our needle in a haystack, I made chocolate haystacks today.  They're very simple to make, but they'll satisfy any chocolate craving with the greatest of ease.  



Chocolate Haystacks
from Ellie Krieger's cookbook: So Easy

3 large shredded wheat biscuits
6 oz. dark chocolate (60% to 70& cocoa), chopped  

Line a baking sheet with wax paper.  Using your hands, crush the shredded wheat biscuits into thread-like pieces in a bowl.  Place the chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water.  Melt the chocolate in the double boiler, stirring constantly, until it is smooth.  Remove the pan from the heat.  Add the crushed shredded wheat to the chocolate and stir until it is well coated.  Using a cookie scoop, place tablespoon-size stacks of the mixture onto the wax paper.  Place in the refrigerator to cool for about 20 minutes.  Store and serve at room temperature.        







1 comment:

  1. Any idea what 3 large biscuits will be in cups? I only have mini shredded wheat.

    ReplyDelete