Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

C is for Crab Cakes with Mango Cucumber Relish

The series of posts about what I ate for my birthday week and what desserts I've consumed are coming to a close, but not before I share the dish I made myself to celebrate my 26th.  I picked crab cakes long ago and have contemplated the recipe for weeks.  My friend Nicci helped me finally decide on a spicy crab cake mixture with jalapenos and bell peppers topped with a fresh salsa-like relish of mango, cilantro, and cucumber.  I served the crab cakes atop basmati rice cooked with light coconut milk instead of water.  It was divine!    


This meal was a delicious treat for my birthday, but I think this dish would be superior in the summer time, on a porch with a margarita on the rocks.  


Crab Cakes with Mango Cucumber Relish
adapted from Martha Stewart 

1/2 c. bread crumbs
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 lb. lump crabmeat, picked over
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
1/3 c. light mayonnaise
kosher salt to taste
black pepper freshly ground
1/2 c. vegetable oil for frying

Seed and dice all peppers. In a large bowl, gently mix together the bread crumbs, eggs, crabmeat, cilantro, scallions, peppers, mayonnaise, salt, and ground pepper.  If the mixture is too dry, add some mayonnaise.  If the mixture is too wet, add some breadcrumbs.  Use your hands to shape the
crabmeat mixture into small, thick cakes, about 1 1/2-inch inches in diameter. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot, but not smoking. Cook the  crab cakes for 3 to 4
minutes per side, until golden brown, turning  them with a spatula carefully.  Drain on a plate lined with a paper towel before serving. Serve immediately, topped with mango relish.    



Mango Relish

1 Mango, diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper
1 tsp. minced garlic 
1/2 cucumber, diced
juice of 1 lime
3 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
1/4 tsp. osher salt
1/8 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper

Peel and dice the mango into 1/4" cubes.  Put the mango cubes in a medium mixing bowl, and
toss with the remaining ingredients.  You can refrigerate this mixture beforehand if needed, but it is not necessary.  




No comments:

Post a Comment