Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

E is for Enchiladas

After tackling poblano peppers in my paella, I feel more confident about broadening my pepper repertoire.  I've always loved jalapeños, but after getting some serious pepper burn on my hands (and face!) last summer while making a southwestern salad, I went through a pepper scare.  I thought jalapeños were the most accessible!  The easiest!  Now though, I understand that they're just the most popular and you can't accurately judge the hotness of any pepper until you taste it.  Those jalapeños made my hands burn for hours and no aloe gel, burn ointment, ibuprofen, or milk and oil soak eased my pain.  I was miserable!  And so I swore off peppers, other than the ever-friendly bell variety, until my hands and my heart healed.  You know what brought me back?  I ordered a black bean and corn chili relleno at Zocalo, one of my favorite restaurants downtown.  I let those brilliant chefs do the pepper chopping and handling.  My dinner was served with smoked tomato grits, pico de gallo, and cilantro-buttermilk honey.  It was seriously delicious and served as the exposure therapy that I needed.  



Now that the pepper scare of 2011 has come to an end, I've been experimenting with different varieties.  The poblanos were absolutely wonderful in my paella and so I decided to try another similar pepper: the anaheim.  I bought three anaheim peppers to include in roasted chicken and quinoa lettuce cups.  Peter thought they were delicious, but I was less enthused.  It wasn't the pepper flavors that bothered me; I would just rather eat lettuce cups in the heat of summer and they hardly seemed appropriate in January.  I should have known better.  




And so I tried again, with something warmer and cheesier.  I prepared a dish more comforting in the barren winter months: enchiladas.  I bought jalapeños with a fresh attitude and made my own ranchero sauce.  I delicately wrapped tortillas around black beans, chicken, and a mixture of cheeses.  I smothered them with the spicy sauce and baked them until hot and bubbly and then Peter and I devoured them.  




Black Bean and Chicken Enchiladas with Ranchero Sauce
adapted from Cooking Light, October 2011

  1. 2 tsp. olive oil 
  2. 1 c. chopped onion 
  3. garlic cloves, sliced 
  4. 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
  5. 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
  6. 2 c. chicken broth
  7. 1 tsp. dried oregano
  8. 1 small jar (8 oz.) tomato sauce 
  9. 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  10. 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice 
  11. 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
  12. (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained 
  13. 2 c. (8 oz.) shredded cheese (I used white and sharp cheddar)
  14. 1 c. shredded chicken 
  15. Cooking spray 
  16. 12 (6-inch) tortillas
  17. diced cilantro
  18. light sour cream 
  1. Preheat oven to 400°.  Heat oil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add onion; saute 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium; add garlic, jalapeños, and salt. Cook 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add broth and oregano, tomato sauce, and cumin; cook 8 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.  Pour onion mixture into a blender.  Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in lid. Blend until smooth; stir in lime juice and ground red pepper.  Combine the beans, 1 cup grated cheese, and shredded chicken in a medium bowl.  Spread 1/2 cup sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon bean and chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; roll up. Place, seam-side down into the sauce. Pour remaining sauce over filled tortillas. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with sour cream and a salad.  












       

1 comment:

  1. Rachel,
    I have made these twice since I saw the recipe in Cooking Light. Add a cold beer and you are golden!!!!!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete