Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

B is for Baked Oatmeal Cups

I am a big fan of oatmeal and love to have it in the mornings before work, but I am not a big fan of the wait time involved if I cook it on the stove.  I don't like overnight oatmeal because it just seems so soggy and cold.  I DO like baked oatmeal because it's got a firmer, more cake-like consistency and it reheats nicely when I'm in a hurry.  I decided to do a little experiment with baked oatmeal in silicone muffin cups tonight with the intention of heating up a cup or two each day this week before jumping in the car on my way to school.


Baked Oatmeal

3 cups oats
2 cups skim milk
3/4 c. brown sugar
3 Tbsp. melted butter
2 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix all the ingredients together and spoon into muffin cups until 3/4 full.  Bake at 375ยบ for about 25 minutes.  The oatmeal will not be firm or completely dry;  it has a moist consistency but can hold its shape when you pop it out of the silicone muffin cup.  


I topped the unbaked cups with all sorts of goodies- pecans, blueberries, frozen peach slices and blackberries, flax seed, raisins, butterscotch chips, and dried papaya.  I would say that a few of these toppings should just be added AFTER cooking because they lose their good looks in the oven.  If I made these again, I'd skip on the blackberries and blueberries because they bleed into the oatmeal mixture and look unappetizing even if they taste fine.  

Just out of the oven, these oatmeal cups were very tasty!  I hope they'll be just as delicious when I'm reheating them this week for breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment