Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

L is for Lemon Layer Cake

My birthday is way over.  I still need to finish my thank you cards, but the wrapping paper is gone and I have no more excuses to celebrate.  To bring my birthday-season posts to a close, I will bring you the luscious lemon layered cake from my friend Cynthia.  She came across the recipe here at smitten kitchen, where there are a lot of photos and descriptive details on how to make the cake.  I cannot lay out the steps any better than Deb at Smitten Kitchen, and I consider this blog post a nod to her incredible blog and my friend Cynthia's baking talent as well.  Not only can she make a killer cake, but she has a special knack for finding the best recipes on the internet as well.  



I requested a lemon cake, but I was wowed by this tall and decadent layered delight.  Cynthia's lemon curd was fantastic & I'll be asking her to make more so I can spread it on toast on leisurely weekend mornings.  In general, I'm not a huge fan of fruity cakes, but I would make this for a shower or a summery dinner party.  It feels light and yet satisfying.  The only negative comment I have on this dessert is that the frosting hardens and dries quickly, so it's divine the first day and goes downhill quickly from there.  This frosting can't sit around for days, so plan on icing this cake the same day that you intend to serve it and send your guests home with a slice too because this is a large cake!  
 

Cynthia and I enjoyed this cake while sipping white wine and watching a chick flick: Eat, Pray, Love.  We may or may not have had two slices each...Sounds like a splendid girls' evening, doesn't it?


Thank you, friends and family, for making my birthday season so special this year!  

No comments:

Post a Comment