Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

F is for Frittata

March has been a frittata month for me.  Last weekend my family came to Charlottesville for a day visit and I took the opportunity to make them brunch.  I made a basil, asparagus, and tomato frittata, a fruit salad, sausages, and toasted some multi-grain bread to serve with jams and preserves.





My mom brought a vase of beautiful orange tulips and I have enjoyed them all week.  After our breakfast, my dad helped me hang cup hooks in my china cabinet.  They look great!



We walked around on the downtown pedestrian mall and grabbed slices of pizza at Christian's for a late lunch.  Then we ventured over to UVA's grounds to enjoy the flowering trees and to see the work they've completed on the South Lawn project.  It's beginning to look very springy around here!  It was awfully nice to catch up with my family and show them a little bit of Charlottesville.  




This weekend our friend Scotty is visiting from Atlanta to enjoy the Libel Show over at the UVA Law School.  Peter and I sorely miss our law school friends.  Although C'ville is amazing, we have loved it the most when all our friends are around.  The toughest part of staying to live in your college town is that everyone who matters to you during college ends up leaving.  When they come around for weekend visits, it's really fun to go wine tasting, linger on restaurant patios, and try new recipes at the house.  This morning I made a smoked salmon and green onion frittata and it was oh-so-good.  I got the idea to add smoked salmon from one of my favorite Food Network stars: Ina Garten.

Guests seem easily impressed by frittatas, but they're super easy and great for company because they don't require a lot of attention (unlike pancakes, waffles, French toast, and other breakfast favorites).

          
Make-Your-Own Frittata
This recipe requires you to do a little picking and choosing, just like when you make an omelet.  The possibilities are endless!

6-8 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. milk or cream

handful of a chopped, fresh herb (like basil, dill, or parsley)
kosher salt
ground black pepper

1 c. vegetables (asparagus, carrot, artichoke hearts, potato, pepper, onion, squash, broccoli, etc.)
1/2 c. meat (cooked sausage or bacon, smoked salmon, chorizo, smoked turkey, chicken, etc.)
1/4 c. shredded or crumbled cheese (swiss, gruyere, gouda, parmesan, cheddar, feta, chevre, etc.)

Preheat your oven to 425 and move the top rack about 6 in. from the heating element.  In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, herbs, salt, and pepper.  Set aside.  In a large non-stick skillet, cook your vegetables in a bit of oil or butter until tender crisp.  Add your cooked meat to the skillet and pour egg mixture over the veggies and meat.  Cook over medium heat, lifting the edge of already set eggs so that the uncooked mixture can flow underneath and cook.  Cook until the whole dish is nearly cooked, but still shiny on top.  Sprinkle with the cheese you choose.  Set the skillet in your oven for a few minutes (3-10, depending on doneness) to melt the cheese and set the eggs.  To serve, use a pizza cutter and serve triangular slices.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rachel!

    I decided to try making a frittata for breakfast this morning. Since it's just me, I halved the recipe, and I just used the few items I had left in my fridge before I go grocery shopping later today. I used parsley, mozzarella, tomato, and mushroom. It was great! I'm definitely going to have to try the smoked salmon one. You're doing a fantastic job with this blog, and I am looking forward to trying more of your recipes.

    Take care!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete